At 01:40 PM 11/8/01 -0800, Dwight wrote:
>I didn't know about putting traces along the edges, but the board shop
>called & asked if we'd like them to pull the planes back from the board
>edges!  So having a good board shop can pay off...

I've understood that board shops know that you *never* want planes to go
all the way to the edge, so if they see a board which could fab with
exposed copper at the edge, they would pull it back sufficiently to
guarantee that it was clear.

If you design a setback into your board, they will use that unless they
consider it insufficient to guarantee clearance. It is obviously good
design practice to make the clearance explicit.

Protel did not factor for this in designing the DRC. There is, actually, no
defined board edge definition. There should be a layer hard-coded to board
outline. This would allow an edge clearance design rule, and then
primitives on the inner plane layers which did not bite into the plane
beyond that clearance would not, properly, create the "primitives on inner
plane" warning that we now get whenever we design an inner plane correctly....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA