At 05:32 PM 11/8/01 -0500, Mike Reagan wrote:

>you scare me man   thinking that you are design aircraft components and dont
>know how to use the progam     I think you better fligt test it

Knowing how to use the program is a convenience, not a necessity. The
necessity is to know how to inspect the gerbers or films and the board itself.

Let me put it this way. If I want reliability of a pcb, I will prefer it to
be designed by someone who knows electronics and reliability issues, but
who is a beginner with a piece of software he uses, than by one for whom
the reverse is true.

(I don't think Mr. Robison is designing "aircraft components." Last we
spoke, he was designing equipment that might fly *on* a plane, but it does
not *fly* the plane. If one of his boards fails, if I am correct, it will
be a nuisance, not a disaster.)

In my experience, boards for hi-rel usage (for me, it has been space
flight) are reviewed through several different stages, at least. While it
is obviously best and safest to get the board right in the first place
(after all, there is a statistical possibility that the later safeguards
could all fail), the knowledge that negative planes should not go to the
board edge is widespread. As I mentioned previously, most board houses,
perhaps all, will already create an edge clearance if you don't put one
there and you don't clearly specify that you *don't* want one. They have
been dealing with gerbers with no edge clearance for years, but they have
probably never encountered a request for planes to go to the edge.

Has anyone reading this received fabricated boards with no inner plane
clearance? Was it from an established fabricator? (I'd be surprised if it
*never* happened, but I would also be surprised if it was at all common.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA