At 06:02 PM 11/8/01 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
>  What you need to do is place rectangular fills all around the edges
>of the board to hold the power planes out of that area.  This is what I've
>been doing for years.

The practice of copying the outline track to the inner planes, as described
by others, and then blowing it out with a global edit to, say, 50 mils, is
simpler and, with a complex outline, faster.

Mr Elson made some good points about how to do gerber import. One note I
would add is that Protel, if possible, flashes fills, it does not "fill"
them, so when they are reimported, they become pads. Yes, pads. This
introduces certain complications, trying to view solder mask imports.

It's better, I suggest, to view gerbers in CAMtastic or another Gerber
viewer. But it can be convenient to view them in Protel, and the ability to
import gerber is a real plus for many reasons.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA