At 02:28 PM 11/12/01 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
>Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>
> > It should not have been much more expensive. In fact, as I recall,
> > depending on the process, panel edges plate if you don't do something to
> > prevent it!
>
>Yes, that is true.  But, because of the way boards are made, the edge of the
>panel is cut away in the routing step.

Yes. This is why I said that the board would need to be fabricated as a
breakaway board.

>   It would be possible for a fabricator
>to make the panel equal to the board, but then there are problems with how
>to hold the board without shadowing a spot during plating, not to mention
>that most shops use large panels, with several boards per panel.

Yes. That is not a practical solution. To plate the edges at the same time
as the holes, the board *must* be fabricated breakaway. That increases cost
for routing, which should be the only increased cost except maybe a little
touchup if required where the tabs broke away.

If one really wanted *no* gaps in the edge, those gaps where the tabs were
could be manually plated with a plating pen, practical with a relatively
small run.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA