My experience with planes-to-the-edge has been this... to date, no one has ever sent me a board that has both power and ground all the way out to the edge whether I pulled the planes back in the gerbers or not.  It appears to be pretty much SOP.  However, I have received almost all the boards that have multiple ground planes only- no power plane at all- that came back with the planes out to the edge.  I actually wanted them that way, but I didn't specify other than not pulling the planes back on the gerbers.  I never really thought about it too much, but that is quite a decision on the board house's part.  Luckily for me, they seem to be able to determine which designs are RF and which are Digital and such.
One pet peeve of mine- I've had it happen twice on high-current designs- a board house adding thermal reliefs to all the through-hole components.  A near disaster.  Needless to say, we don't use those houses any more.  Funny thing is, they acted very baffled as to why we would be angry about that.

As for plating edges, I have had this done several times.  I don't believe it's all that uncommon.  In a case with RF components near an edge, and the board mounting surface being a chunk of aluminum that follows the perimeter underneath the board, the RF can flow right off the edge of the board and down to the aluminum case "ground plane" with very little inductance.  This is especially effective with thicker boards, where proper GND via diameters can get pretty large.  I have seen a few cases where edge plating seemed to really make a difference.  A well placed set of stitching holes appears to be almost equally effective though in the majority of situations, and I generally get by with that.
Funny you should mention this right now, I was kicking around the idea of plating an edge of our new receiver board and see if it accidentally had any effect.

-Frank