Ken,

I had this problem myself a while back.  Mechanical Layer 1-4 work fine, but
5-16 disappear when refreshed using View -> Refresh.  When I was
investigating this I had to flip though each layer using the + key to
refresh the board, because view -> refresh was not setup correctly.  The
problem is that the layer drawing order does not contain the mechanical
layers beyond layer 4. (When Protel increased to 16 mechancial layers they
forgot to add them to the layer drawing order in the INI file).  Check under
TOOLS -> PREFERENCES -> DISPLAY -> LAYER DRAWING ORDER and see if all of
your (mechanical) layers are listed there.  I had to manually edit the
ADVPCB99SE.INI file and change some of the LayerDrawingOrderxx=xx because
there is no add button beacuse all of the layers SHOULD be listed.  It
represents the list of the layers in the board and the order they are to be
drawn.

Below is a copy of the layer drawing order from my modified INI file:

LayerDrawingOrder0=76
LayerDrawingOrder1=33
LayerDrawingOrder2=74
LayerDrawingOrder3=34
LayerDrawingOrder4=75
LayerDrawingOrder5=0
LayerDrawingOrder6=1
LayerDrawingOrder7=2
LayerDrawingOrder8=3
LayerDrawingOrder9=4
LayerDrawingOrder10=5
LayerDrawingOrder11=6
LayerDrawingOrder12=7
LayerDrawingOrder13=8
LayerDrawingOrder14=9
LayerDrawingOrder15=10
LayerDrawingOrder16=11
LayerDrawingOrder17=12
LayerDrawingOrder18=13
LayerDrawingOrder19=14
LayerDrawingOrder20=15
LayerDrawingOrder21=32
LayerDrawingOrder22=35
LayerDrawingOrder23=36
LayerDrawingOrder24=37
LayerDrawingOrder25=38
LayerDrawingOrder26=39
LayerDrawingOrder27=40
LayerDrawingOrder28=41
LayerDrawingOrder29=42
LayerDrawingOrder30=55
LayerDrawingOrder31=56
LayerDrawingOrder32=57
LayerDrawingOrder33=58
LayerDrawingOrder34=59
LayerDrawingOrder35=60
LayerDrawingOrder36=73
LayerDrawingOrder37=79
LayerDrawingOrder38=61
LayerDrawingOrder39=62
LayerDrawingOrder40=63
LayerDrawingOrder41=64
LayerDrawingOrder42=65
LayerDrawingOrder43=66
LayerDrawingOrder44=67
LayerDrawingOrder45=68
LayerDrawingOrder46=69
LayerDrawingOrder47=70
LayerDrawingOrder48=71
LayerDrawingOrder49=72
LayerDrawingOrder50=76
LayerDrawingOrder51=76
LayerDrawingOrder52=76
LayerDrawingOrder53=76
LayerDrawingOrder54=76
LayerDrawingOrder55=76
LayerDrawingOrder56=76
LayerDrawingOrder57=76
LayerDrawingOrder58=76
LayerDrawingOrder59=76
LayerDrawingOrder60=76
LayerDrawingOrder61=76
LayerDrawingOrder62=76
LayerDrawingOrder63=76
LayerDrawingOrder64=76
LayerDrawingOrder65=76
LayerDrawingOrder66=76
LayerDrawingOrder67=76
LayerDrawingOrder68=76
LayerDrawingOrder69=76
LayerDrawingOrder70=76
LayerDrawingOrder71=76
LayerDrawingOrder72=76
LayerDrawingOrder73=76
LayerDrawingOrder74=76
LayerDrawingOrder75=76
LayerDrawingOrder76=76
LayerDrawingOrder77=76
LayerDrawingOrder78=76
LayerDrawingOrder79=76
LayerDrawingOrder80=76
LayerDrawingOrder81=76
LayerDrawingOrder82=76

The trouble should lie in LayerDrawingOrder number 38 to 49.  Originally
mine were equal to 76 (no layer?) I changed them to 61 to 72 (Mechanical
Layers 5 to 16).

I found that Layer 60 is Mechanical Layer 4, then it skipped to 73 (Drill
Drawing Layer).  I added 61 to 72 (Mechanical Layers 5 to 16) and all is
well now.

Good Luck.
Anthony Whitesell
Sunrise Labs