| setup does not allow manual control over the secondary monitor resolution,

When installing the Matrox drivers, tick off the enhanced added support for dual
displays.
Once installed, go to display properties, advanced, dual head support mode & select
Different color & resolution for each monitor.  Reboot.

After this, you should be able to select different resolution & color modes & scan
rates for each monitor.

Brian Guralnick
Comedy clips:
ftp://ftp.point-lab.com/quartus/Public/MP3/Simpsons-FatFingers.mp3  -53K
ftp://ftp.point-lab.com/quartus/Public/MP3/Simpsons-Moe-LieDetector.mp3  -166K