Abd ul-Rahman,

I think we're getting a little too much of the old school of thought
here. Not allowing lowercase is just too primative. If you're going to
take away the spaces, give me my lowercase. To avoid the
filename-in-quotations-because-of-spaces problem I rarely use spaces and
instead use lowercase with the first letter of each word capitalized.
I'm and advocate of being succinct, but clear. Losing lowercase is a
detriment in my opinion. I want to allow every character that is
possible for a file name, excluding spaces. In windows, this excludes
the following characters.

\ / : * ? " < > |

I believe that is the same restriction for Unix-related OSes and
Solaris. It works for them, why not for us? And this lower case oh (o)
vs zero (0) and lowercase ell (l) vs one (1) is simply a font problem.
You might as well not allow the upper case letter oh (O) either because
it looks like a zero (0) as well. Just fix the font, no big deal.

I believe we can think outside the teletype restrictions of 30 years
ago. If not, maybe it's time to retire ;-)

Bryn

--
Name   : Bryn Wolfe
Title  : Robotics Engineer