> Almost, but not quite. One problem with allowing case difference is that
it
> causes different names, as far as ASCII code is concerned, to have
> identical meaning. If case difference is allowed in names, in general, it
> will cause a different sort order than if it is not allowed. Yes, one can
> overcome this with more complex sort and parsing routines, but then the
> question arises as to what convention to use. Alphabetical order is pretty
> clear, when case is not allowed. Windows does what Mr. Wolfe wants. It's
> fine for descriptive filenames for text files, and the convention would be
> to ignore case in function but preserve it in the name itself. An option
is
> then given the user as to whether or not to consider case in a search, for
> example.

Don't forget that the issue of case sensitivity is still a toss-up for
programming languages too.  If you program in C and some dialects of Basic,
case sensitivity is the norm.  If you program in ASM and some other dialects
of Basic, case insensitivity is the norm.

As far I know, most of the "modern" programming languages are case
sensitive.  I personally never liked case sensitivity in programming
languages or filenames.  I always thought it required the programmer to
worry about one more thing he shouldn't have to worry about.

I do understand the reasons to not put spaces and lowercase in footprint
names and filenames.  The problem with filenames is that the OS lets you do
it, so you've got to support it.  With footprint names, if we don't support
spaces OR if we don't support case, then PLEASE support underscores.

Just guessing, I think the most accomodating thing to do for footprints
would be:
1)  Allow underscores
2)  Allow lowercase and uppercase
3)  Be case insensitive (uppercase and lowercase evaluate the same)
4)  Don't allow spaces in the name

This would allow those folks who want to use uppercase letters as "word
separators" to have the footprint appear readable to them.  This would allow
other folks to not have to worry if they had typed the case correctly.  This
would allow us folks who like to use underscores as word separators to do
so.  And it would not break the field parsing routines programmers use.
BTW,  this is the way assemblers (such as MASM and TASM) work.

> We will be talking to our computers in a few years, do we want to have to
> say "space" or depend on some AI routine to insert the spaces it thinks we
> want? Speech has neither spaces nor case. It does have, so to speak,
> italics. But I don't want a filename to depend on whether or not the speak
> is angry, for example.

This prediction is so old it is laughable.  It never seems to work out as
good as it needs to be.  I have doubts that computer speech recognition will
ever be practical until people learn to speak better.  Everyone has times
when they mumble, get tongue-tied, use the wrong tense, run their words
together, etc.  I used to think that the intercom systems at the drive-thru
burger joint were awful.  But then when I got the pay window, I couldn't
understand what the person was saying even when it wasn't being said through
the intercom.  I am from the South, and us folks in the South speak slowly
and hear slowly.  We are not all mentally slow, however.  I sometimes have
to ask folks from other areas of the U.S. to slow down when they talk.
Especially anyone from New York.  And I have to mentally translate their
pronunciation into the correct word meaning ("I'll cawell you" into "I'll
call you", for example).  Pronunciation can vary greatly even in a small
region.  For example, some of us Southern folk say "gree-its", but others
(like me) say "grits".  How can a computer understand what someone is
saying, when I can't even understand them?  I've got more "effective" MIPS,
MOPS, TFLOPS, etc. and a better pattern recognizer than a computer.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com