<snip>
> Just guessing, I think the most accomodating thing to do for
> footprints would be:
> 1)  Allow underscores
> 2)  Allow lowercase and uppercase
> 3)  Be case insensitive (uppercase and lowercase evaluate the same)
> 4)  Don't allow spaces in the name

This would be my vote, too.  Sorting, searching, comparisons, etc., would
all be case-insensitive.

Schematic symbol names and footprint names should follow identical rules
(whatever they may be). Probably net names, too.

---
off-topic:
> As far I know, most of the "modern" programming languages are case
> sensitive.  I personally never liked case sensitivity in programming
> languages or filenames.
Yeah, I think case-sensitive variable names are absurd. I can't imagine
maintaining a program where someone has used multiple names that vary only
in case.  As far as filenames go (also absurd), the only excuse I can see is
that the original designers were trying to save a few cycles (precious at
the time) in file management routines. I'm thankful that at least the
Windows file system is case-insensitive.