Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

>> I believe we can think outside the teletype restrictions of 30 years 
>> ago. If not, maybe it's time to retire ;-)
>
>
> Ahem. The issue is clarity, and what could easily be taken as a 
> personal insult will not help to resolve it. 

Relax! I was referring to the "old school of thought" reference I made 
earlier. If your sensitive about your age, don't advertise it every time 
you refer to your decades of experience. Personally, I prefer 
experienced sources when I have a problem that I can't seem to solve. 
It's nice to have someone you can refer to who usually has the answer, 
and that person usually has more experience than I. Life usually doesn't 
offer such universal experts, so in that regard, thanks. But there has 
got to be solid logic behind the reasoning, and I don't see that have 
provided that here. And you're logic straddles the fence on being 
backwards compatible. You say you want to be case insensitive because 
DOS and NTFS aren't, but you don't seem to be satisfied with the old 8 
character limit for file names. So which is it?

At any rate, we obviously have a difference of opinion on this point. No 
big deal except it leaves Protel to their druthers because we can't 
offer a consensus. If we can't agree, then we certainly can't fault them 
for their choice of syntax either.

>
>
> Allowing lower case letters can improve clarity, mostly by being a 
> signal for word gaps. But underscore fills that need nicely, without 
> the added complications introduced by lower case.
>
> As long as the Windows file system treats upper and lower case as the 
> same, I would be very much against preserving lower-upper case 
> distinctions in file names. Allowing them to be entered and kept can 
> cause confusion, i.e., one does not automatically know if case is 
> important or if it is not. The program should handle that for the 
> user, i.e., if the user enters lower case, it should be represented as 
> upper case immediately. If a user enters a space, it should 
> immediately become an underscore. 

Ah, I see what you mean about DOS compatibility. Personally, I hate 
underscores. It makes the name longer without any added information. I 
use case for readability only. I would not name two components that 
differed in case only. So in that respect, maybe we agree.

In summary, for component names we want OS file naming conventions, sans 
spaces (spaces automatically replaced by underscores), but allow upper 
and lower case for naming/presentation, but don't allow name duplication 
where case is the only difference. Does that sound right?

Bryn Wolfe



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* To post a message: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
* To leave this list visit:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/leave.html
*
* Contact the list manager:
* mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
* Forum Guidelines Rules:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/forumrules.html
*
* Browse or Search previous postings:
* http://www.mail-archive.com/proteledaforum@techservinc.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Reply via email to