At 11:33 AM 20/03/2002 -0800, Brad Velander wrote:
>Tim,
>         if the hide nets all is not appropriate, you can usually get a
>significant performance increase by singling out your most used nets to be
>hidden. Usually GND.
>
>Sincerely,
>Brad Velander.

When P98 (I think) first came out it had the new net analyser that offered
us (according to the marketting stuff) "unbreakable connectivity".  It was
quickly found that the net analyser could take an excessive period of time
to do its thing.

Protel's solution was to hide the all, or at least, the biggest nets - I
thought there was old KB item or two that covers this but I can't seem to
find it.  I had a board that would not speed up significantly after all the
nets were hidden, in discussions with Protel it seems that another slow
down to the analyser is excessive numbers of rules.  It may have been a
board which had been imported from an older version and so all the design
rules for pad expansions etc were created.

So if you are seeing the analyser being too slow:
1) Firstly, as others have said, try hiding all or at least the biggest nets
2) Then, see if big pours are the problem (possibly also overlapping pours
of the same net) (although this problem is, according to the Protel KB,
"improved" in P99SE compared to P98)
3) Finally, see if you can rationalise design rules.  Make use of net and
pad classes etc to reduce the number of rules

Ian Wilson