Mike

Why are you calling Expedition "a closed system"? If the source
schematic is from another package, generate or translate the netlist
into Keyin (Integraph) format and you're away. There may be a bit of
work required to map the footprints/packages referred to in the
source netlist into Expedition's PDB names, but this is easily handled by a
translator (e.g. Omninet or equivalent). Similarly, components could be
renumbered in Expedition, a "was/is" file generated, and
back-annotated into the schematic.

Most of my Expedition work arrives as a Protel or OrCad netlist
supplied by the client. I can't see Expedition being any more "closed"
than any other system. The overall integration (specifically
forward and back annotation) is simpler when used with Mentor's "Design
Capture", but that's generally true for the schematic/PCB product pairings of all
vendors.

Colin

Colin Earl
Optimum Design Associates