Rene:

Slightly off topic, but you need a morale boost.  Maybe some of us on this
list need one too.

Don't drop out of hardware development if you meet all of the following
criteria:

1)  You are good at it
2)  You really enjoy it

I suspect you meet both criteria.  I saw your website and it looks like you
have worked on some diverse and interesting projects.

Notice I didn't say if you could make lots of money from it.  If things get
really bad, you may have to take a job doing something else.  If so, pick
one that doesn't require a lot of overtime, so you will have some time to do
consulting work on the side and keep your skills sharp.

As for me, I graduated with my BSEE in 1989 just about the time the EE
market took a nosedive.  I sent out over 160 resumes and didn't even get one
phone call.  I did get one interview at the campus job fair, but the guy was
just looking for someone to stroke egos in a "team" and wallpaper his walls
with ISO9XXX .  After months of searching, I decided to start my own
business.  No one would give me a job, so I had to create my own job.
Fortunately, I knew of a company that needed a custom instrument for their
machinery product line, so I pitched my services to them and they "bought"
me into the business.  So here I am still doing what I love.  I am not
getting filthy rich, but I do alright.  There have been some difficult
times, but when that happens I always think about what my day would be like
having to take orders from Dilbert's boss.  Around here, I am Dilbert's
boss!

In spite of what the NSF and IEEE says, the world does NOT need more
engineers.  The world needs more GOOD engineers who LOVE what they do, are
fairly compensated, and who are willing to take intelligent risks.  This is
not the same as Wall Street taking risks, because they just throw money at
the Wall and see what sticks.  Those people win big, but they also lose big.

It's true that people have come to expect hardware to be cheap, almost free.
This is a consequence of consumer culture insanity, and cheap (slave?)
labor.  But you can make a business out of designing and supplying niche
hardware for other companies.  Do you just design stuff, or do you also
build it for your customers?  You should consider building it for them
(turnkey service).  That way you can have an on-going revenue stream from
your customers long after the consulting work has been done.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.