From: Brian Sherer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 6 June 2002 8:03 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: [PEDA] Protel / MSoft

My personal reservation to Altium's new pricing structure is that
both Microsoft and Protel have historically used a "Toss it and catch it"
model for software development: Write the code and release it with known
bugs, and repair such bugs as become negative sales issues. No other
type of product that I am aware of survives introduction with known
defects, because they're forced to observe product liability laws. Until
we have legislation requiring product performance to a level of competency
similar to that of, say, an electric toothbrush, we're going to be subjected
to software requiring six Service Patches to reach utility.

Perhaps XP is much more stable than earlier flavors of Microsoft, but it has

the same odor: "Use and maintain XP, or soon all the expensive Microsoft
products you've been supporting for all these years will be useless."

Altium's brave new world has the same feel. 99SE is already a powerful tool
inspite of it's problems, and for my work, the mechanics of layout is no
longer
a major item in the critical path. Second, and more importantly, I suspect
that
not all patches to the latest product will be released before our "free"
support
period runs out, leaving me to pay $1600/Yr for bug removal. I don't feel
this is
acceptable in a package costing $8000.

Any comments?

Brian