> Oh, and one more time: does anyone know of an altera listserver?  I can't
> get newsgroups until I wring out some stuff w/ my ISP (pacbell dsl).

Nope.  But if your questions are Verilog, or, VHDL related, try these 2 news groups.
There are a number of Altera users on both
sites.  I found them helpful for integrating & simulation code with Quartus..

comp.lang.verilog
comp.lang.VHDL

If you are having trouble with news group access, you can access the group through
google groups with your web browser.  Go here:
(I have yet to receive junk mail after signing up at google groups, unlike yahoo,
which overflowed my email box with hundreds of
adds.)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.verilog
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.vhdl

Good luck.