On 11:30 AM 7/3/2002 +1000, Ian Wilson wrote:
>On 10:27 AM 2/07/2002 -0400, Andrew Jenkins said:
>
>>Studies have shown time and time again that a pair of XMhz processors will
>>out-perform a single 1.5X processor in most real-world tasking environments.
>
>Andrew,
>
>Have you got references - I am interested.

Ian,

To tell you the truth, no, I don't. When it was important to me to ferret out the
info, I must have read at least a dozen, both on the net and in publications, but that
was quite a while back, and it didn't seem important to me to do anything but read
them, as at the time, I was concerned more with answering the question: "Is it worth
it for me to purchase this system?" than to document the experience for others... I'm
not even sure how one would perform an accurate archival search these days, as much of
the best info is routinely lost to hard-drive crashes, lost server privileges, the
fact that the question/controversy was essentially made moot years ago, and a state of
general disorder on the net (dilution of information by merchant traffic). The
articles I read from print publications are, I'm sure, archived by libraries, but
since I read about 4 dozen pubs on a quasi-regular basis, + whatever I pick up off of
tables and so forth, I simply can't recall which print pubs contained the articles.

Some or all of the info may still be available via DejaNews (Google), your favorite
search engine, and/or a real-world library search, using terms like "Dual vs single
processor?" and the like.

FWIW, most of the argument is self-evident, like "Wheel: Revolutionary or just more
Dragon oil? - Stone Age Living: anon Spring, 4698BC", as one simply has to experience
a few hundred single-proc system lock-ups during intensive operation, while attempting
to accomplish secondary work (opening or using another app on a single machine, ie,
Multi-tasking), then operating a dual-proc machine under similar tasking, to realize
the obvious benefit for those requiring a workstation-class system
(non-home/non-secretarial), who don't also have the luxury of multiple machines
installed in their office to accomplish the role a multi-tasking system offers.

Like the wheel, once used, the worker who experiences the productivity improvements it
brings to the "table" will never look back.

A quick search using MSN Search turned up a few interesting articles. Here's one
http://www.inqst.com/articles/p3vp4/p4vp3.htm , but there's plenty more out there...

r,

aj

* Tracking #: BFB04C1F960C9F499294F6EBDE1A99C6BBF0A8C0