I think it's a conspiracy between MS and Int*l!  ;)
(Ok not really)

A while back, I remember Intel coming to us (where I worked at the time) and
asking for some big CPU intensive application to 'demonstrate' their newest
Pentium de jour.

I think what they really meant was: "Do you have some bloated app that would
show people a reason to upgrade their hardware so we could sell more chips?"