Tony,

I moved from a Abit KT7/Athlon 1.2GHz/512MB PC133/ATA66 system to
a Soyo Dragon+/Athlon XP 1.4Ghz/1GB PC2100 DDR/ATA100 system this
past December. The newer system is definitely much "snappier"
across the board.

I don't autoroute PCB's, but I do some CPLD design work with
Cypress' Warp VHDL tools and the newer system is about 25% faster
than the old one. I'd attribute this to the fact the system has
about 50% more memory bandwidth available. CPU speed increase and
improved HD access times are somewhat a (lesser) factor.

I also recently built an Abit nForce chipset Athlon XP system for
my PCB designer. It has even better memory bandwidth than the
Soyo and is also very "snappy".

So yes, the newer memory architectures, chipsets and CPU's tend
to make a difference -- but it really all depends on the specific
motherboards, BIOS settings, etc. and how you actually use your
system.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:08:47 -0700, Tony Karavidas wrote:
>Has anyone really noticed much of a difference with the newer
and newer
>memory bandwidths and architectures? I was thinking about this
for a
>moment
>and it occurred to me that if a given CPU has a 90+ % level 2
cache hit
>success, that means <10% of the time there is a cache miss and
the
>system is
>forced to go out to the main memory for a piece of
data/instruction.
>Normally the cache controller is busy fetching blocks of
>data/instruction
>independently of the CPU. If that's true, I don't see much gain
even by
>doubling the main memory bandwidth.
>
>Thoughts??

* Tracking #: 59531FB79DCBD04398ACEE21C0E82A1660DBC3B3