> you forgot: "Buy this new PCB. It has new features..."
>
> Oops, I forgot, for readers of THIS forum, that's what a) put the bread on
the table, and b) what fuels all of this upgrade stuff in the first place
(not to mention, what goes into that cell phone, automobile, TV, and
computer, the last being the forcing function that drives the OS upgrade, to
accommodate the new features the PCB brings to the consumer's PC)

"forcing function"?

I don't mind forcing functions when they are in equations, but I hate them
when they are the reason for upgrades.  So much of the upgrade forcing
function is needless bloat.  In fact, I just got a newsletter from
PowerBasic for their new v7.0 Basic compiler for Windows.  In the list of
new features it has:

#BLOAT nexp allows the programmer to create a bloated target program, one
which is artificially increased in size to match or exceed that generated by
some BloatWare compilers.

I am not joking, this was taken from their website.  I'm not knocking
PowerBasic.  To the contrary, they recognize the bloated nature of modern
software too.  So the question becomes:  who generates the bloat in modern
software, and why?  It is obviously not necessary, since PowerBasic can
generate smaller programs.

The next version of Protel had better run good on my dual-PIII box...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com