Tony, the companies you SHOULD be avoiding are the ones that produce bloated
code, give you no clue that the code is bloated, and give you no option to
avoid it.  I think there may be another reason PowerBasic has the "option"
to produce bloated code.  Imagine this:  you are a contract programmer (like
many of PowerBasic's users).  You hand your customer the completed custom
program (i.e. a custom MRP system) they hired you to write.  When you hand
them a floppy, they say "Wait a minute, we paid you $$$$$ to write a big
fancy program for us.  And all we get is one floppy of software for it?  You
are ripping us off!  We should get at a CD full of software for what we
paid!"

It's a perception thing.  And nowadays, perception IS reality...until the
stock value tanks.

Now, I am not a contract programmer (I just play one on TV...).  However, I
do write code for embedded systems.  So I know how to write non-bloated
code.  I just can't see where a lot of this bloatware is necessary (600MB of
disk space for a word processor, give me a break).  PowerBasic is proud that
they can produce SMALL programs, and just to show off (and help contract
programmers) they create the #BLOAT function.

I wonder how Delphi and the next Protel version will compare in the bloat
wars?  Like I said before, it better run in 512MB RAM on my dual-PIII,
because that machine WILL NOT be replaced for at least 3 more years.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com