Where is that menu function? I couldn't find a  'restore defaults' button,
and since you quoted it, I'm assuming that's what the button actually
says???

Are you talking about Tools/Preferences/Display/LayerDrawingOrder/Default ?

If so, that doesn't do to me what it's doing to you. Maybe that's why it's
hard for Protel to fix it; it's not consistent.

If not, tell me how to get to that button and I'll push it!