Well they (we) should help change the "perception" of bloatware. If I were
to see an app take 150KB instead of 300MB and it did everything I spec'ed,
I'd be AMAZED at the fact it was done. I wouldn't complain that the code
didn't occupy a CD as opposed to a floppy. If what you say is true in some
sectors, then I think it is absurd and anyone hiring based on code size and
not functionality is an idiot.

If P99SE was one exe file that fit on a floppy, I would bow toward the
southern hemisphere every day at 2PM in awe of their talent. :)

Tony




> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bagotronix Tech Support [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 12:41 PM
> To: Protel EDA Forum
> Subject: Re: [PEDA] bloat WAS: OS bugs
>
>
> Tony, the companies you SHOULD be avoiding are the ones that
> produce bloated
> code, give you no clue that the code is bloated, and give you no option to
> avoid it.  I think there may be another reason PowerBasic has the "option"
> to produce bloated code.  Imagine this:  you are a contract
> programmer (like
> many of PowerBasic's users).  You hand your customer the completed custom
> program (i.e. a custom MRP system) they hired you to write.  When you hand
> them a floppy, they say "Wait a minute, we paid you $$$$$ to write a big
> fancy program for us.  And all we get is one floppy of software
> for it?  You
> are ripping us off!  We should get at a CD full of software for what we
> paid!"
>
> It's a perception thing.  And nowadays, perception IS reality...until the
> stock value tanks.
>
> Now, I am not a contract programmer (I just play one on TV...).
> However, I
> do write code for embedded systems.  So I know how to write non-bloated
> code.  I just can't see where a lot of this bloatware is
> necessary (600MB of
> disk space for a word processor, give me a break).  PowerBasic is
> proud that
> they can produce SMALL programs, and just to show off (and help contract
> programmers) they create the #BLOAT function.
>
> I wonder how Delphi and the next Protel version will compare in the bloat
> wars?  Like I said before, it better run in 512MB RAM on my dual-PIII,
> because that machine WILL NOT be replaced for at least 3 more years.
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.
> website:  www.bagotronix.com
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tony Karavidas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 3:08 PM
> Subject: Re: [PEDA] OS bugs WAS: Problems with schematic annotate
> function.
>
>
> > Damn! I emailed the company and asked... oh see for yourself:
> >
> >
> >
> > >Because we're proud of it.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >
> > >Tim
> > >
> > >
> > >At 09:20 AM 7/8/02 -0700, you wrote:
> > >>Why in the world would you add this, much less call it a "feature?"
> > >>
> > >>#BLOAT nexp allows the programmer to create a bloated target program,
> one
> > >>which is artificially increased in size to match or exceed that
> generated
> > by
> > >>some BloatWare compilers.
> >
> >
> >
> > They are "proud" to add to the problem. GREAT!!! I think I'll stay away
> from
> > THAT company.
> >
> > Tony
>
>
>
> ************************************************************************
> * Tracking #: 87A6E7CCB2799C4183F56FB07E2F0237139162F6
> *
> ************************************************************************
>
>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* To post a message: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
* To leave this list visit:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/leave.html
*
* Contact the list manager:
* mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
* Forum Guidelines Rules:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/forumrules.html
*
* Browse or Search previous postings:
* http://www.mail-archive.com/proteledaforum@techservinc.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Reply via email to