> didn't occupy a CD as opposed to a floppy. If what you say is true in some
> sectors, then I think it is absurd and anyone hiring based on code size
and
> not functionality is an idiot.

In every field I can think of, there are large numbers of people who affect
the direction of the field without knowing anything about it.  Examples:

1)  Trade press (know-nothings) hypes 32-bit architectures, pretty soon chip
manufacturers have discontinued 16-bit chips, even though there are HUGE
numbers of apps that use 16-bit and are happy with it
2)  Marketing departments (know-nothings) dictate that all new car stereos
must have glitzy, whizzy LCD graphic displays with full-motion animation.
I'd rather have a dynamics compression feature (nobody offers one).
3)  Hollywood studios (know-nothings) hype surround-sound, which sounds like
crap on stereo TVs (music is too loud, dialog is too soft and sibilant).  Of
course most people have stereo or mono TVs.  Even many audiophiles (like
myself) would rather have 2 superb audio channels than 5,6,7,8 mediocre
ones.  Who wants to argue with their wife over where to put 6 or more
speakers?
4)  This one is close to home for all of us.  Remember Auto-RFQ, the fancy
Protel feature?  Who asked for that one?

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com