No, not by my reckoning. P98, while not containing the autorouter tweaks
that many here seems to require, was for anyone using manual techniques,
essentially the same software as it was before. The simulator is still
kludgy, the 3D modeler is...oh never mind..., the schematic editor is
essentially the same software as was originally shipped with Protel for
Windows v1...That is, P99SE, at ~$8K, is little better than P98 at ~1/3 that
price. Even the panning bug which Protel temporarily filtered out for P99SE
with a clocking gag is now back, at least in 99SE, because hardware has
again become faster. Not sure about DXP, as I haven't tried it yet. Unless
truly, truly, truly re-written, I suspect that users will be complaining
about it once more, just as soon as the average desktop proc power takes
another leap...

> I can't recall now - over what period did the price triple?
> It would be
> interesting to see how that matches with features and bugs fixes.

Bug fixes are not something that a software company _should_ be charging
for. Bug fixes are errors caused by the OEM (in this case, OSM), and
therefore are, or at least _should_ be the liability of the originating
company, not its customers. As I've said many times before, the days of the
good-ole boy "shareware" mentality has long been out of the realm of
validity for Protel/Altium, if ever it was valid for a program which, in
1991 cost $2K, and now costs $8K plus a $2K yearly tithe.

As for the increase period, I believe it was the period from 1998-9 to the
present, ie, ~4 short years, interestingly enough the same time period in
which many others in the Stock industry began their profiteering game in
ernest.

> I wonder if the introduction of SP5 and SP6, which really
> helped stability
> for many of us, corresponds to the steepest price rise. If so
> then any of
> us that are very price sensitive should  wish for buggy
> software!  Do you
> like my logic?  Maybe I should go into marketing.

Love it, baby ;) I see your reasoning, though you know by now that I will
respectfully disagree...
SP5, and SP6 were necessary for REPAIR of FLAWS in this COMMERCIAL PRODUCT,
as was the issuance of p99SE vs/vs p99 and nearly every service pack issued
by Protel. Had this been an automobile, water-bed, or a toaster, it likely
would have faced a gov-sponsored mandatory recall. Unfortunately, since the
software industry still somehow evades consumer protection laws, Protel,
like many other companies which produce bug-ridden code (both soft and
hard-ware companies producing hardware support drivers), is still flying
under the radar. IMO, it doesn't make it right, though...

regards,

aj

* Tracking #: 0A849265B03DEF44AF97FCD9FF75C763692E45CD