Isn't it the other way round ?
Having bought the last version you're regarded as 'good' customer
and get a higher discount than another one that bought something
10 years back ?
Anyway, it is a decision. Microsoft decided in the case of office
software that there are those who have a service agreement ($$$)
and all the others are new customers that always pay the full
price.
There is no obligation to offer a discount, really.

Rene

Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> I wonder if the software can tell, during installation, which version you
> actually had and refuse to install if it's not the "upgrade jump" you paid
> for?
>
> IMO, I think it's a shady business practice to charge someone more for an
> upgrade just because they skipped a version.  That's the same as forcing
> them to buy something they didn't want.  They didn't get the use of those
> intermediate versions, so why should they pay for them?
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.
> website:  www.bagotronix.com

* Tracking #: 02180E2A2FA1114C8F8A8333E93B876580636923