Michael,
        I have some very similar needs but have never found a way to
accomplish this task. I have had the same results as you have described. I
look forward to reading any results that have come to a different
conclusion.
        In my case I have tried the exact same thing with layer specific
keepouts. In a similar vein I have also searched for a manner of setting via
holes such that they have a minimum laminate material left between them
after drilling, seems anything to test vias in the rules only tests the via
metal pad and to a 0mil space or touching. Anything closer then touching
pads cannot be defined.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification

* Tracking #: 8D52133DB5934C46ACCBEAAD91ABEDE4C9290AAC