yeah i never noticed that either (the difference in the closing 'klunk')
but we do get it sometimes too

i wonder if this has anything to do with the 'issue' of phantom copies
of protel still running even after it is quit
which seems to be specific to WIN2K

(i.e., the situation where Protel shows in the task manager after it has
been closed)

maybe the KLUNK is really trying to tell us something

i would also speculate that it *may* have something to do with 'compact
on close' which sometimes on some systems doesn't work correctly

why doesn't someone  - :) turn off compact on close and explore this
possible relationship to the mystery KLUNK

Dennis Saputelli

JaMi Smith wrote:

> OK . . .
>
> So I'll admit, I missed the Class on Protel 99 SE Basics . . .
>
> And I slept thru most of the Protel 99 SE 101 and 102 Classes . . .
>
> But gimmie a break . . .
>
> This one has got me baffled . . .
>
> So what are the two simplest functions that one can possibly perform in
> Protel 99 SE?
>
> I mean the absolute simplest, most bare bones, easiest things to do in
> Protel 99 SE.
>
> I mean like, are you ready for this one, START Protel 99 SE, and are you
> ready for this one, END Protel 99 SE.
>
> Not too complex here, just simple stuff.
>
> OK . . .
>
> I can think of 3 ways to START Protel 99 SE (without an open database):
>
> 1. Double click the ICON on the Desktop.
>
> 2. Place the cursor over the ICON in the Desktop and press ENTER.
>
> 3. Navigate the START MENU and go from there.
>
> Nothing too complicated, nothing major, and I do not have any problems here,
> I can handle everything so far.
>
> But now comes the problem.
>
> I can think of 6 ways to END Protel 99 SE (without an open database):
>
> 1. Click on the big "X"  ("Close") in the upper right hand corner of the
> Application.
>
> 2. From the "File" menu pulldown click on "Exit".
>
> 3. From the Task Manager, select Protel and end it.
>
> 4. "Shutdown" the system.
>
> 5. Hit "RESET", or turn off the power switch, or simply pull the plug out of
> the wall (believe it or not I have had to resort to this before when Protel
> 99 SE "locks up").
>
> 6. Simply wait for it to "CRASH", which it always seems to do all by itself
> sooner or later.
>
> Now I will admit that the last 4 are not normal ways of simply ENDING Protel
> 99 SE, so we can eliminate them right off the bat, and simply stick with the
> first 2.
>
> "No Brainer" . . .
>
> OK . . .
>
> So I simply START Protel 99 SE by any of the above methods, or maybe some
> that I haven't thought of, and go from there.
>
> Now comes the hard part, we have Protel 99 SE up and running, with no
> database open, in all of its glory, and we want to close it, so what do we
> do?
>
> 1. We hit the big "X", and "wala!", it closes. Simple enough, I can andle
> this. No problem here.
>
> 2 We go to the "File" menu pulldown, and click on "Exit", and what happens
> now?
>
> Well first of all, it takes much much much much longer to END Protel 99 SE
> this way, but now comes the real problem, on it's final exit, we get, are
> you ready for it, a Microsoft "KLUNK! sound, you know, the "sour note" that
> Microsoft gives off when you commit an error!
>
> Not the "Happy little Bell" that Microsoft uses to get your attention, but
> the "KLUNK!" that it uses to say "ERROR!", or "WRONG ANSWER". or "You Blew
> It!".
>
> OK . . .

> [...]

* Tracking #: 6B9E4565338E3148841D7226674F665E1C2A4F09