Professional Technical Training Associates
(916) 941-1185 - Office/Fax
(916) 955-0083 - Mobile
visit our web site at www.protta.com
==============================

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 4:43 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] flipping board - 'X' does not work with components.

On 03:41 PM 9/10/2002 -0700, Rick Wilson (Protta) said:
>Jun,
>
>Flipping a PCB in Protel 99SE can't not be done with a single push of a

>button, But it's not that hard to do. It's really only a 4 or 5 step
>process and should take
>no more that 15 minutes to perform.
>
>You will need to do this in steps, but its much like converting Gerber
>files into real PCBs.
>
>If you first select all of your components, via global edit, then copy
>these off to the clipboard. To do this, pick a good reference point
>when you do the EDIT/COPY. You should then be able to paste these
>components down outside of the current design, let's say to
>The right side of your current PCB. But instead of using a standard
>paste, use Paste Special under the edit menu.- in this dialog, select
>Duplicate Designators only and disable all of the other options.
>
>Now perform the PASTE option at the bottom of the dialog and while you
>have the new selection attached to your cursor, (all of the components
>attached to your cursor), hit the "x" key to first mirror all of the
>components in the selection, now before you put them down, hit the "L"
>key to flip all components in the selection to the bottom layer.

Rick,

This leaves complex (anything other than trivial) components in an
unmanufacturable state.

Do this with a SO/TQFP even a SOT-23 package and you will find that you
have to mount the chip upside down to make the pin numbers match.

Have you ever built and tested a board where you have used the X key to
flip a component?

A BGA would be mighty interesting!  With smaller SO pkgs you can mount
it
upsidedown and force the leads down - at least for the botched
prototype.  Not so easy on the botched proto with a BGA.

Ian Wilson