Brad, Mike

my understanding of the question is that there are more than four footprints that
could be used for a component. Let's say a capacitor. There are four footprint fields
in the sch component library and there couldb be 53 different footprints one uses for
capacitors. There is obviously not enough space for all of them to be defined in the
sch library component.

Let's say a cap is associated with one of the footprints apart from those four and the
sch component is changed in a library and then you update component from the library,
what happens? In my system, the footprint info is preserved, which is what I prefer.
If I want to change the footprint info then the component's footprint field in the sch
will produce an updated list, according to updated library component, to choose from.
I would not like to have to change manually all the different capacitors if the
library component was changed.

This is valid for generic components, such as cap. The story is different if you have
a sch library component for every capacitor you use. It might be of some benefit if
your updated sch library footprint fields are reflected in the schematic. For me this
still would not be a good idea. I could use a reflow component on the top and a wave
footprint on the bottom and once that is set, all changes required I would do
manually, rather then having update function mess up with my board.

Then again, if the 'update from library' function is modified, so you have control
over what is updated in the schematic, e.g. only selected components are updated, it
could be useful, especially on large boards.

It all comes down to having a choice to do what you think is appropriate.

In my opinion, what P99SE does is not a bug. It does what it is supposed to do and I
am quite happy with what it does. That we might want something else or more is not
sufficient to call it a bug.

Regards,

Igor