Igor,
        I guess that you have seen Bob's detailed explanation of his issue.
Not what I expected nor what it seems you would have expected either.

        As for your comments below I can understand your view, it doesn't
match with mine because my question would be: "If you updated the symbol
from the library, what change would you expect?" You would state, " Nothing
to the existing design, possible options in the footprint list." I would ask
"Why did you need to do the update at this time if you didn't want to see
any change?"

        Thus if I update from the library, I want a new virgin symbol or
part. I don't want some kludge of the old and the new that can get too
messy. Then again, I don't drive my symbol details manually, I'm linked.

        Have a good one Igor.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Check out our fall promotion at www.norsat.com. Limited quantities. Sale
ends December 24, 2002.
Contact your Account Manager or call 1-800-NII-4LNB or email

<SNIP>

> Let's say a cap is associated with one of the footprints
> apart from those four and the sch component is changed in a
> library and then you update component from the library, what
> happens? In my system, the footprint info is preserved, which
> is what I prefer. If I want to change the footprint info then
> the component's footprint field in the sch will produce an
> updated list, according to updated library component, to
> choose from. I would not like to have to change manually all
> the different capacitors if the library component was changed.

<SNIP>