Thanks Guys,
I would tend to agree about the extra work with multiple big pieces.
It really seems to work well if you keep that mechanical
layer outline of the big plane for ref. Because by the statement
of

> (1) place the inner pours and fill them.
> (2) place the outer pour and fill it.

This would confirm it for me, I was not really 100% sure I needed
to remove the big plane first for editing inner planes or whether it
was a problem with my system.
But the above 1&2 would then imply if I need to change
one of the small-inner pours I really do need to delete the outer first
then fix inner and fill it, then replace outer and fill it.
Usually the outer is an easy shape to recreate so this
should be less work than dealing with multiple planes
to fix one small inner plane.
If the big one is gone while editing the inners ones
it does seem to work very well.

Thanks
Bob Wolfe