Just slightly embittered after barttling with bugs on vanishing timelines.

                      "John A. Ross

                      [Design]"                To:       "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: [PEDA] OrCad to Protel

                      21-Jun-2003 03:37

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Protel EDA

                      Forum"

Robert

I think you are being a bit hard here and overly critical of Protel
tools, if the tools were so bad why has Zarlink (Mitel, GPS) used them
for so long.

Some of your statements below show a certain unfamiliarity with the
tools which would be pre-requisite knowledge for a fair and honest
comparison against another vendors tools.

To be fair I think a little resistance to change on your part :-) would
be more a reason for your comments than the tools themselves considering
Protels history at Zarlink.

Zarlink (Mitel, GPS) has had good use out of Protel tool for a long
time, in fact I remember being asked by some of your colleagues for a
recommendation for changing from V2.8 to P98, I had the same
conversation again with them on 99SE. In fact the designs for your first
QPSK de-mod was given to me in Protel (still have SCH here, pre 1997 and
marked GEC Plessey).

P98 was the first copy of Protel I liked (2.8 was not for me), but at
that time I regularly used Orcad since SDT III, Ulticap & PowerLogic but
over the years most of my SCH or captured entry is in Protel with layout
split across either PowerPCB or Protel.

Bug wise all three have there own set of nasties, dos and don'ts.

If I did not have a variety of tools at my disposal I could not work
efficiently and not all tools, are all things to all people.

I agree the SI tools are pretty poor.

But great improvements have been made in DXP and even although I am very
critical and very out spoken of some of the features & changes within
DXP, these criticisms of mine are purely productivity related (proven by
internal trials here), it does not mean it is a bad product or have
great potential, in fact I do believe with the Protel ease of use,
bi-directional compatibility with Orcad, that nVisage (capture tool
within DXP, also available as stand alone product) could well have the
possibility to knock both Orcad Capture and PowerLogic off the pedestals
they has been sitting on for so long.

All just my opinions of course.

Best Regards

John A. Ross