At 04:29 AM 6/23/2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Thank you very much, this does make sense but where the hell is supporting
documentation from Protel. I am very, very sure that these instructions
don't appear in my 99SE  manual.

The instructions given in the post to which Mr. Gillat is responding involve accessing a library database directly. The instructions are not in the manual because Protel did not consider it a great idea to give new users an impulse to go to the database.

The situation in question involved a massive schematic symbol, not your everyday occurrence, so more powerful techniques were involved than one might expect to find in a reference manual of reasonable size.

What Altium should have done long ago -- they still have not done it, to my knowledge -- was to actively recommend that new users join this list and (1) watch the list if they have time, they will learn a lot, and (2) ask if they need to do anything which seems overly cumbersome or difficult.

The Protel design system is much more powerful and flexible than it might appear to a new user. It is possible to manipulate the databases directly with a text editor or even Excel, plus the internal Protel spreadsheet editor is often powerful enough to do many tasks. It has its quirks, to be sure, which is why you need this list to hold your hand.

But we are here 24/7, Altium simply cannot match that, nor do they, except through us, have access to such a large group of experienced users. We have been there, we have done that, and enough of us are willing to share our experience that it works.