> You also will learn how the top vendors are doing their VeriBest :)
> to drive prices up and how there are no new entrants

And that in the face of the rising Free and/or Open Source phenomenon.
Sometimes I get the feeling that it's just a last-minute money grab:  Grab
all the cash you can while you can, because [Software Industry] Judgment Day
is coming soon.  But the escalting cash grabs are causing people to look
harder for alternatives.  Analogy:  it's like teetering on the edge of a
cliff.  The harder you try to jump backwards to safety, the more force you
exert on the crumbling cliff edge...

I have not tried, nor do I endorse any of the alternative products, but
there are low cost alternatives such a Eagle, Boardmaker, etc.  And I saw an
ad for another low cost EDA package last week, AutoTrax.  IIRC, that was the
forerunner to Protel.  It seems to be a separate product by a different
company (Kovac Software) now.  I don't know how it compares to Protel in
terms of features and design capacity (i.e. how big a design it can handle).
But you can get it for $95.  Yeah, that's right, 1/100th the price of
Protel.  Now that's what I call The Right Price!  Of course, at that price,
the revenue from the product cannot support a large hierachical
organization.  And that shows the obsolesence of the old "big company"
business model as it pertains to the Software Industry.  I think that in
many niche tech businesses, when a company gets big enough to go public,
it's too big for the targeted market.  And Electronics EDA is a niche
business.

> I don't know how many people Altium has but these days $12 mil
> gross revenue is not a huge number for an international going
> enterprise

Why does it have to be huge?  Good things come from small businesses too.
Being profitable is the most important thing.  I like to joke to my stock
broker and banker relatives that Bagotronix was more profitable than
amazon.com, MCI Worldcom, Invensys, and Xerox all put together last year ;-)

That said, I like Protel 99SE.  It's a good EDA package in general, and
could use some bug fixes (SP7).  But it's way more expensive than it should
be, IMO.  And so is it's successor (DXP), and it's "competition".

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com