On 09:25 AM 18/03/2004, Mike Reagan said:
Ian

I have been using 2004 for about three weeks and have found three global
edits that the "new and improved" method can not handle.   In 99SE  I could
create a net class called AD. If I wanted to show only the RATS nets for
that class I could edit net ADO change the name to AD* and check  unhide.
All of the nets beginning with AD would show.    The net class would now be
avaliable for viewing.   This can not be done in either DXP or 2004.

It can - I just did it. The method I used was a bit funny but it may well be able to be done another way I have three nets AVDD_LNAI, AVDD_LOTX and AVDD_VCO. I used these as a test:
1) entered query: IsNet and Not (Name like 'AV*')
2) in the List Panel I right clicked in the Hide column and chose Select All
3) I right clicked again, selected Edit Selected...
4) Changed the False to True and hit enter

Like many things it takes much longer to write and understand for someone not familiar than it does to do. The biggest problem is having to type on the keyboard a significant amount of text - it tends to mean you drop the mouse and then have to grab it again.

At this point all nets that are not like 'AV*' are hidden. If you need to turn on nets like 'AV*' you would use a query like:
IsNet and (name like 'AV*')
then select the Hide column and Edit Selected to False.

This is just one way of doing what you wanted. I have not investigated if there is a better way. If it is something you do often I would consider making a macro that prompted for the match string and then ran the query and set the hide state automagically.

You could also use classes easily enough as well (IsNet and InNetClass('AD[15..0]'). Instead of the List you could use a selection query and then use Inspector. I am not sure if there is any way of using the Navigator in PCB sensible to achieve this (Navigator seems to be used for browsing the Sch). I have spent only about 2 minutes on figuring this out from initial thought to solution. There may be a faster way of doing it - I am not sure. It does help a lot that I know the query system pretty well now.

It can be done and with the much better programmability I would expect it should be possible to make a pretty neat macro-like command to make it even easier than before. Without doing the macro I am sure some (most possibly) will say it is harder than in P99SE - with good reason.

I may investigate the macro option - this is a side of P2004 I have not looked into but from what I have seen it looks like there is no longer a need to use Delphi for access to object attributes etc.

Something to remember is that editing nets in P99SE was a learned skill. Many people did not realise how to do it - it was an often asked question. P99SE had a number of processes that are not standard between objects. These are all learned by practiced users such that we no longer see the quirks. You are using a quirk in a quirk to achieve something. I have been a long time user of P99SE and did not know the technique you used (unless I have not understood what you wrote.)

Another lost feature:  If you want to edit the text size in a selected group
of components..... it also cant be done. There are hoops and games you can
play but it cant be done easily

Which text? It can be done, but the thing I find is that it hasn't been made as easy as it could be in DXP. If a suggestion I have made a few times had been implemented it would be very easy. One is using a number of right clicks in the List panel. It is my firm belief that the List Panel should not be used for anything but the occasional edit, especially when there are better ways (such as making the Inspector maintain selections when you use the attribute links).

There are other ways of doing it that require typing queries
1) Select the components you want
2) Run the query, IsComponentSelected and IsDesignator, with the selection option checked
3) Go to Inspector and change the text width

That works easily for Designators, in this case, and was quick. The main issue here is that I had to type "IsComponentSelected and IsDesignator" but that is easy for me as I know many of the keywords and what to expect. This is an advantage I have, as a long time user, over someone new to the system. (For the details I will post again on the DXP forum as that is where suggestions and comments from the programmers are.)

If this is something you are doing a lot you can even make the "IsComponentSelected and IsDesignator" query easily run by adding it to the 'Y' key query hotlist. Then this particular operation - changing designator text on selected components, would be faster than in P99SE. But to get there you have to know a fair bit about the system (query keywords and the presence of the 'Y' key query hotlist and hot to change the entries on the hot list).

Ian