Tony wrote
>Maybe Altium could implement a few more global dialog boxes for us to have
>high level, quick functionality like the T,I,P box. (Component Text
Position
>is what it's really called)

Tony
I agree and more..  the inspector panel is better than the first DXP release but is
far from polished  For example if you select a few random components and look at the
inspector,
it shows in blue  NAME and Component Comment.   If you accidently  click on either one
of these two it goes wacky and arbitrarily picks one component.  If you  click on
somewhere in the panel it  toggles
between reading  the words NAME and component .   Both  are the same word as REF
designator. Which by the way is the correct name and never used.     It's just
illogical behavior.   What is the meaning of this? We had a President here in the USA
that tried to parse the word "is"    Is Altium parsing  the word NAME?     It has a
wacky, non logical feel to it.

Off topic
Can anyone tell me what the other silly   choices  ie  Standard, mechanical,
graphical, NET TIE have to do with my component?   It looks like another PCAD
migration.  What is it?  These options are in the inspector.

I am starting another PCB   board thank you, This is the second board that 0603
components will not import without the library being opened.  I experienced this
before wanted to confirm the problem was not me.  I am convinced there are now two
bugs with  loading netlists.      In case Y'all didn't notice,  in 99SE components
which began with zero like 0805 and 0603 would sometimes shorten by dropping the
leading zero's.   It didn't happen all of the time but I know how to reproduce it.
I think there might be something related to the dropping the leading zero.

There are a few other problems with netlist loading.  Including two things that must
be applied.   Dont you hate to install Bill Gate's crap and all the questions are "
hit any key to continue" otherwise  it is Good Gye.  Just freaking finish the install,
we already established I what I want to do. Loading a netlist requires you to always
check this same little box ADVANCED MODE. Then it always asks the same silly
question.. do you want match the reference numbers?.  WAIT did I say reference
numbers,  this the first place 2004 uses the word REF Number then it never uses it
again.  This part was programmed by a subcontractor . I am sure of that.
The most annoying part of the netlist load is the poor report.  It fails to give you a
comprehensive report of what does not get loaded.   The report only contains ref
designators   and the word NO ACTION.  No kidding ,   I know it was no action.  A
comprehensive report with part information (starting with footprint) would help me
find out exactly what went wrong.  So tonight I have two pages of reference numbers
that I am manually writing  next to them, my footprints.   Oh how cool, I am using a
Pencil for something that was automatic in every version up to DXP.

I hope Altium still feels that PCB is part of their long term plan,  The package has
alot to offer,   There are things I am dying to try out but PCB is taking up more time
because the ball was dropped on a few things including loading netlist. So I am
spending time learning to use my pencil instead of using the advanced features.

If you u haven't tried the Autorouter,   Don't .  It still doesn't work. I have
baselined a BGA design with 2000 components against 2004,  Spectra and ConnectEDA,
Electra.  2004 sputtered for 2 hours and on the the third hour crashed.  That is
really sad.  They should take the router off this product and not even offer it for
sale.

Mike Reagan
EDSI