From: radicalcentrism@googlegroups.com
[mailto:radicalcentrism@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Centroids
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:57 PM
To: RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com
Cc: Chris Hahn <c...@2chahn.com>; Billy Rojas <1billyro...@buglephilosophy.com>
Subject: [RC] Re: Values Academies

Hi Billy,

On Feb 11, 2018, at 11:45, Billy Rojas <1billyro...@buglephilosophy.com
<mailto:1billyro...@buglephilosophy.com> > wrote:

Where is the college that promises you the skills you need to live a happy
life?

Does anybody even offer courses on sexual integrity, budgeting, abuse of power,
or any of the other issues that regularly destroy lives, families, and careers?

Why couldn't a new college / university seek to do exactly that?

Why indeed?

That is actually my point. Nobody actually seems to want to be accountable for
cultivating true virtue. Hope only promises jobs. Christians focus on
indoctrinating fundamentalism and excluding a fixed set of sins.  Buddhism
can’t prevent its own sex scandals.

If you want a partial counter-example, the best I can think of is the military
academies. They are at least self-conscious about training people in
discipline, leadership and teamwork — and getting better at it over time.

What would a school like look that was as single-mindedly focused on

Training Culture Warriors? What would it have to subtract, not just add?

You’d need more than relevant classes and high production values. Or even a
rigid ideology.

I have a theory, but first I want to see if we agree that’s the question worth
asking.

And I'd add still other essentials that are regularly overlooked

in the curricula. For example "Psychology of Personal Relationships,"

"The Objective Study of Religion," and "Human Growth  -what to

expect at age 35, 50, and 70."  Also: "Looking Ahead:  The Job Market

in 2025, 2040, and 2055."

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com <mailto:RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com> >
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com> .