I also have one or two machines whose code I have forgotten... but
they're logged in already so no need to worry!

If a macintosh is not logged in and I forgot the security code I just
delete the control panel and reinstall it, with a new security code.

I'm curious; why you would want to move serial numbers from one
machine to the other?

Hope this helps!