Fulfilling the Maya mantra "there's a script for that":
Add this to a hotkey for multiple outliners (I use it on 8):

tearOffCopyItemCmd outlinerPanel outlinerPanel1;

From: sefstath...@bournemouth.ac.uk
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:01:52 +0000
Subject: RE: Need your opinion to improve Maya Outliner/ Attribute Editor

Hey, Thanks for asking! Much of what had been said here I agree with 100 % –
bullet points for me would be: ·         A range of filters that are pertinent
to what attribute I want to inspect (materials, animated parameters etc)·
  A more holistic view of the Maya scene – Why do we need to open up a
secondary windows like the Relationship Editor to address things like Render
Layers, Partitions etc. This should be tied into a single UI with a consistent
work approach. – so we should be able to filter into a Render Layer, Groups,
Layers, Asset types etc.·         Graphically I still find it hard to
understand (at a glance) how things branch out from one another -  hierarchal
relationships have different shades of blue highlighted, when you hide an
object it has a pale grey text associated with it – it hurts my eyes! I have to
say – Softimage had a great Outliner!·         No graphical element/icons to
symbolise a change to an attribute – when something was hidden in Softimage, a
small H represented how it was being hidden. Accessing information quickly is
pretty hard in the outliner – for example – how can I quickly inspect whether a
parameter has been overridden? ·         Organising and partitioning Character
Sets, Quick selection Sets etc. so they exist under something identifiable –
not flailing around at the bottom of the Outliner. Its very confusing for the
students, especially with 5 or so assets in the scene·         Can we see the
operator stack in the Outliner?·         Is it possible to show animated
parameters in the Outliner? ·         Is it possible to drag and drop from one
parameter to another to create relationships?·         Middle Mouse button
drags – feels very unnatural – my finger hover over the left or right mouse
button, not the MMB. Its very uncomfortable to continuously use the MMB to drag
objects into parenting relationships. At very least, can it be made an option?·
        Adding and Removing objects into sets by RMB context menu would be
great (or can we do that already? Couldn’t see it)·         Is hiding things in
the Outliner necessary? I’m not sure – is that not just a feature added because
of the visual noise the outliner generates? I’m sure it stops things being
changed by artists etc. but there are other way assets can be locked down
right? Anyway – hope that helps. If some of things are possible, apologies – It
certainly wasn’t clear in the manual. Cheers Sofronis (Saf) Efstathiou

Postgraduate Framework Leader and BFX Competition & Festival DirectorComputer
Animation Academic GroupNational Centre for Computer Animation From:
softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com