I don't agree with alot of the people here. Thats why I like it here. You can't
learn much from people who think the same as you.But I have to agree with Keith
on this.The only thing I would add is a couple of plays from the Hitler play
book.Number one,when running an oppressive regime,give the people a common
enemy to hate. this takes the focus off your own shortcomings.Number two,be
ruthless in all opposition to what you want no matter how reasonable.
The one that I would add is one my dad gave me;when in doubt of the
motives,follow the money.
                                                                      Rico

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John Woolsey wrote... a load of total nonsense. A bunch of fact-free
opinions only to be found among a particular sector of
thoroughly-spun Americans. Whatever would you do without FoxTV John?
Learn something maybe? What's always amusing about this stuff is how
they they espouse a "balanced" approach and advise against being an
easy mark for the "rhetoric", LOL! At least it's amusing if you try,
damn' annoying if you don't.

>I have no intention of defending Isreal.

.... he said, defending Israel.

>However the tone of these articles are scary at best. Talking about
>motive as being irrelevant, etc, etc. Of course motive is important.
>If there is no logical reason for someone to do something most
>likely the basic assumptions are flawed.
>
>When a war goes on bad things happen. A lot. Ships sink. People die,
>etc, etc. If you dig deeply enough you can find something grey and
>then proceed to build a case for whatever you want. There is no
>black and white in the world. Get used to it and understand it or
>you are an easy mark.
>
>The fact remains that Isreal was attacked and whatever happened
>after that and since was not their doing directly. Yes they could
>have acted better and they still can. But then so can the people on
>the other sides. They probably have a right to act more paranoid
>than anyone else since they are surrounded and no one else is.
>Remember everything points to the fact that if they had not been
>attacked none of this would have ever happened.
>
>Trying to build a case for hate is stupid.

Yes it is, you shouldn't do it.

>Take a balanced approach.

Umm...

>Remember all of the dictators in that area of the world need you to
>hate someone. Isreal, the US, Britain, someone. Because if you don't
>then you will start asking too many questions.

You should try a few questions rather than all these cosy assumptions.

>Saddam killed a hundred thousand of his own people in a very short
>time. How is he defended by people who support him?

You mean by Reagan and Bush Snr? Rather well. Bush Jnr's numbers are
getting quite impressive too, he'll be equalling that achievement
soon. Of course the intentionally brutal and murderous sanctions the
US insisted on, despite worldwide protests, killed maybe eight times
as many, half of them children, an achievement not to be belittled.

>By fomenting hate.

True, if you mean Reagan and Bush Snr, and if you don't you should.

>It is not relevant to who. If you buy into the rhetoric then you
>where helping him to kill thousands. He is not unique.

Nope, indeed not, the US has supported a long and as-yet unending
line of brutal and murderous dictators like Saddam.

Now you're going to say I "hate America" or something. Wrong - as
with everything else. I don't like dissembly and obfuscation, whether
intentional or unwitting.

Aarghhh! - it's no use! We've seen this smug and circular line of
blather (one of their favourite words) going round and round so
often, its internal "logic" hermetically sealed against any hint of
that dreadful stuff reality.

I'm not going to argue with you and I hope nobody else bothers to
either, your views do not merit sensible discussion, especially not
on an international list with worldwide membership such as this one.
It's all in the archives already, long since, go and search out
what's been said previously before you preach this crap at people
here. I know you won't bother to do that, but unless you do (and do
it without simply dismissing or not even seeing anything that might
disagree with you) please be aware that the solid ground you're
standing on is about as solid as a bog, and so is your credibility
here.

Keith Addison

>Most of the dictators in the region use this technique and kill many
>people. In fact I would go as far as to say most modern dictators do
>this. Just start looking for them throughout Africa and Asia. They
>all do the same thing. North Korea for example is collapsing because
>it is the only communist economy that isn't growing. So they start
>building nukes to pick a fight with the world. Remember it was a
>north korean diplomat who bragged that caused all of their
>'problems'. Also remember that North Korea could easily flatten Sol
>in less then half an hour with standard artilary making nukes
>totally unessessary for self defense. South Korea would never agree
>to fight them because they would be ruined.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT