Most of the more recent games that I would have mentioned have already mentioned... (whoever mentioned Deus Ex, what about System Shock 2, and Thief)? SS2 was really good, but Thief didn't really do it for me as far as gameplay. I love the atmosphere, but the game struck me as tedious in places.

One class of games that may not fit the category of 'collectable' but was still fun would be BBS games. Log in, take your handful of turns, come back the next day and see what happened. I've never seen any of these games in a 'boxed' format, and even if they were, I have to wonder if they'd be worth anything.