I agree with you Eric, the jury is still out.  Ed's way of thinking is more in
line with my recent thoughts about a retarding magnetic field effect.  He may
not agree, but it is easier for me to understand how a process that slows down
the snap action associated with the acceleration of the charged particles by
the strong force could allow the energy to be dissipated slowly instead of in
one large pulse.

I visualize forcing the proton(s) to crawl to the nickel nucleus or each other
kind of like moving through molasses.  After all, it is well known that
electromagnetic radiation is generated by the acceleration of charged particles
and the rate of that acceleration must determine the spectrum of the radiation
emitted.  Large magnetic fields have been shown to divert moving charged
particles.   As I have mentioned previously, DGT has reported the presence of a
much larger external magnetic field that anyone would have expected and I
assume that they would not have placed that report into the public arena had it
been false.  I am taking them at their word about this measurement until proven
otherwise.

A large external magnetic field might well translate into an extremely large
internal field at the active sites.  Couple that with positive feedback and you
get a significant amount of power generation.  So far this is the theory that I
favor.

Dave