On 1/9/07, Len Bullard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Letting out the viewer is something of a SOP.  I think the server-side is
> possibly more important given that there are any number of open source
> viewers out there for 3D platforms that are just as good or better.  It is
> the management of the server farm that makes the difference, that and a big
> budget for marketing.
yes the server side services *and* the networking: SL uses UDP, X3D
has little in the way of networking capability - direct from the
client. I have been trying for two years to get improved networking
and web services capability into X3D, but it is arduous. It became a
working group proposal a year ago and still have not got the WG
approved. The Consortium is slow to recognise what, I think, is
essential to its success.

chris