Being the spokesperson, the statement is by and large correct, although not
given in this context but as a reply to a content-related question from one
day earlier. It was used in the linked news source articel, to which the
teacher's association reacted within an hour. As I've written elsewhere,
this was clearly spun. Unusually aggressive move.  The association demands
that Wikipedia and all free-of-charge eduational services be "stopped",
being unfit for school children. It also demands that printed encycopledias
be reintroduced to schools and school libraries be better funded,
...printed material, that is.

Best
Michael

> Returning briefly to NSFW content on Wikimedia sites, there has been some
> press coverage in Germany these past couple of days:
>
> *
>
> http://www.news4teachers.de/2014/06/jugendgefaehrdend-porno-links-in-wikipedia/
>
> *
>
> http://www.news4teachers.de/2014/06/die-porno-links-in-wikipedia-ein-politischer-skandal/
>
> *
>
> http://www.news4teachers.de/2014/06/porno-links-in-wikipedia-deutscher-lehrerverband-fordert-schulminister-zum-handeln-auf/
>
> *
>
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Lehrerverband-erzuernt-ueber-Porno-Links-in-Wikipedia-2214124.html
>
> *
>
> http://www.noz.de/deutschland-welt/politik/artikel/479778/lehrerverband-kritisiert-porno-links-bei-wikipedia
>
> *
>
> http://www.bild.de/news/inland/pornografie/porno-alarm-bei-wikipedia-lehrer-schueler-36224468.bild.html
>
> *
>
> http://www.wa.de/nachrichten/nrw/lehrer-nachrichtenseite-news4teachersde-kritisiert-porno-links-internet-enzyklopaedie-wikipedia-3603101.html
>
> *
>
> http://derstandard.at/2000001726824/Deutscher-Lehrerverband-alarmiert-von-Porno-Links-in-Wikipedia
>
> Apparently, the German Teachers' Association has called on the German
> Education Minister and Wikipedia to take action.
>
> What I found surprising here, given the history of the topic within the
> Wikimedia movement, was the response from a Wikimedia Germany spokesperson
> in the first article linked above:
>
> ---o0o---
>
> Asked about this content by News4teachers.de, those in charge of Wikipedia
> in Germany point to the U.S. parent company. A spokesman told our editors:
> "As a matter of fact, we at Wikimedia Germany have no influence on what is
> to be found on Wikipedia and its sister projects (such as the free media
> portal, Wikimedia Commons). All of these sites are hosted and managed by
> the Wikimedia Foundation in the U.S."
>
> ---o0o---
>

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Thyge <ltl.pri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > * I'm quite capable of thinking for myself. I am truly interested in
> > > protecting children and preventing harassment. And I'm particularly
> > > interested in the current state of the policies around these issues as
> > > the leadership of the WMF changes. Old discussions might contain
> > > outdated information. I could go on-wiki to see the current policies,
> > > but I keep having to reply to mails like these that somehow attribute
> > > a bunch of opinions to me that I've never expressed.
> > >
> > > I'm still trying to understand what I've done wrong here. I've
> > > basically asked some questions and replied to posts that either were
> > > directly addressed to me (as yours is here), or made extensive
> > > reference to me (as some of the mails calling for my blocking). Let me
> [...]

Leiter Kommunikation
Head of Communications

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!