On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 March 2014 10:49, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While legal threats are banned on the wiki projects, the mailing lists
>> are managed differently, and there are differences in expectations of
>> behaviour (and dispute resolution) for the mailing lists.
>
> Personally I'd consider legal threats in the general case a kicking
> offence, for the same reason as on the wikis.
>
> (ATM I appear to be the listadmin. Bitten by my own law: "The reward
> for a job well done is another three jobs." I don't even live in
> Australia, so I'm probably not the best person to be sole admin - any
> volunteers? Perhaps you, John ...)

I'd rather not David; I dont think it would help matters.  There are
active members of our community who are suitable.  Typically it isnt
much work - usually approving one over-sized email per month is the
amount of work required, and managing a dispute once a year.

>> I am also scratching my head about whether the WMF mailing lists are
>> covered by the WMF terms of use.  Perhaps not.
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Terms_of_use#What_services_are_covered_by_the_terms_of_use
>

> I'd be amazed if not explicitly listing the mailing lists meant that
> blatantly antisocial behaviour - such as we're witnessing here - was
> just fine.

In the paragraph before the one you quoted, I said "I think we should
note the behavioural guidelines of this list on the mailman listinfo
page".  Do you have any thoughts on that?

IMO, the terms of use would be an excellent document to refer to as
the baseline for behaviour on the WMF mailing lists, but only if the
WMF legal team intended for it to be used in that manner, or at least
dont object to it, which is why I have asked the question on meta.
Sorry that I wasnt more clear in my last email.

--
John Vandenberg