Hey Dan,

I also try to avoid the last pair connected in the F2L slot but not
flipped right, even though I can use the ZB alg for it.

I've found that it's faster even when I see that case early on, to
still use that slot as an empty slot and do whatever otehr ZBF2L comes
up than to know which case that slot is, save for last, and just do ZBF2L.

The reason I learned them first though, is that I didn't know any
VHF2L.  So what I did was to just pair up the pieces and place at
least one of them into it's slot.  That way I knew the ZBF2L way to
finish.  It was sort of my pseudo-VH way of doing ZBF2L.

The cases where both pieces are in the F2L slot but the slot is not
solved are mostly slow for me, except for a few which are very very
fast.  So I try to avoid them since a larger proportion of them are
slow for me than just all the rest of the ZBF2Ls.

I do still use those cases though if the last pair is one of them.  I
just try to avoid them if I can.

Just my two cents,
Chris