--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I suppose we could get into a big discussion on the differences
between
> complex and simple tasks, parallel-tasking, multi-tasking, serial-
tasking,
> but frankly I'm not interested in building a complete set of
definitions on
> that subject.  These are all just intellectual classifications and
are not
> really pertinent to zen practice.

Yep - I now think that is the key point. When reading Suzuki's book
and the phrase I originally quoted, I was thinking too much in
absolute terms - doing ALL activities in a same manner, a manner
Ahmed coined well with the term 'not multi-tasking'. But that is not
the question in real life, real life as being the material Zen
targets. It is more like blossom said in posting nr. 9909: "...to do
everything with a full commitment. Use all of YOU."

I like the practical approach Mike describes in his posting (nr.
9918) - and I will adopt this approach:
"...no matter how busy I was (often working 6-7 days a week, upwards
of 12 hours a day), I still found time, as often as possible,
for "mindfulness days" where I was able to apply concepts such as
doing one thing at a time. If I couldn't get a "mindfulness day"
then maybe a "mindfulness hour" or even "mindfulness minute." "

And the practical approach in Ahmeds longer posting (9917), where he
describes his handling boredom in classrooms, seems very OK to me. I
can not judge how Zen masters would agree to his approach, but I
think that is exactly how to handle these kind of situations and
still be very mindful.

Thanks all for giving your thoughts and helping making my mind up!

Eugene

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM