On Saturday, May 06 Eugene Wrote:

>And the practical approach in Ahmeds longer posting (9917), where he
>describes his handling boredom in classrooms, seems very OK to me. I
>can not judge how Zen masters would agree to his approach, but I
>think that is exactly how to handle these kind of situations and
>still be very mindful.

Ahmed's description of his handling of boredom in his classroom was very
disappointing to me and certainly not a model I would recommend you to
adopt.  In the first place boredom is not something that is thrust upon you
by your environment.  Boredom, like anger, happiness, sadness, etc.., comes
from within you (your 'self') and is projected out onto the environment.
Boredom specifically stems from the individual's inability to appreciate the
environment and/or circumstances they are presently in, and therefore does
provide as much stimulation or validation of the 'self' as you crave.

What is the reason for YOUR boredom?

In the second place piling activities on top of activities only dilute your
ability to perform any of these activities with high quality.  If you just
concentrate on doing one thing with quality - like listening to your teacher
and the classroom discussions WITHOUT making value judgments on them, like
valuable/not-valuable, interesting/non-interesting, pertinent/not-pertinent,
etc...- I guarantee you that you won't be bored and will learn a lot.

If you can look at a sunset or listen to a chorus of song-birds or stare
into a fire and not be bored, and not be tempted to start thinking of other
things to 'optimize the time', then certainly you can do the same with a
teacher, even one that you have judged to be unprepared.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM