Dear Bill,

Everyone multi-tasks all the time. I think the discussion is not on
multi-tasking or not, but on the degree of multi-tasking. This makes
the discussion more complex than simply saying "don't!".

When you walk, you do a lot of tasks. Muscle contraction and
distraction, coordination, planning where to step, and so on. To
know how many tasks these are at the same time, go talk with someone
who has difficulties with walking. Talking is also a very complex
process. You use over sixty muscles, these have to be controlled by
complex brain processes, and so on.

'Just driving a car' is a very complex multi-tasking process - ask
someone who is taking driving lessons right now, and is trying to
figure out how to handle all these controls while trying to don't
hit other obstacles. Eating and speaking with your spouse at the
same time can be less multi-tasking than just driving a car!

If I would pretend to be a wise Zen monk I would explain this
dualism in multi-tasking perhaps like: Everyting is multi-tasking
and nothing is multi-tasking. Multi-tasking and not-multi-tasking is
the same. Multi-tasking has always been and multi-taksing does not
exist.

(Now don't hit me for jesting with Zen language, or using the
expression 'Zen language'!)

Eugene

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 03 Eugene wrote:
>  >But if multi-tasking is 'allowed in Zen' (don't hit me for this
> >phrase...), what does the text of Suzuki mean that I cited in my
>
> I hit you one-hundred times!
>
> Nothing is 'disallowed', but multi-tasking does not lend itself
well to
> being one with your actions.  'When sitting, just sit - when
walking, just
> walk.  Above all don't wobble!'.  That's a paraphrase of a zen
saying
> addressing this same issue.  I know there are people that can
multi-task
> better than others.  Perhaps there are people that can multi-task
and still
> maintain a oneness with their actions.  I can't, and from the
teachings and
> writings of all the patriarchs it appears they couldn't either.
These

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM